GHPblogged

A dumping ground for stuff that doesn't belong on the other place, or stuff that does belong on the other place but probably looks better over here. You may anticipate my general ramblings with the premise of "hooking you up" with stuff I like.

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Handsome Devils



I loved this band with a passion. Still do.
I'll be honest, I was a more a fan of Johnny when I first encountered them back in 1983. Rickenbacker / fringe and stripey jumper (funny how some things don't change).
I must have spent my entire life in the sixth form, bunking off and watching my vhs of them live at the Assembley Rooms, Derby, taped from Whistle Test or something...

But yesterday I had the pleasure of aquiring the 'aborted' Troy Tate sessions for what would have been their first album 'The Hand That Rocks The Cradle'...and as much as I embraced 'The Smiths' album like a lifeline......I just feel that these recordings are waaayyyyy better.
My fave was 'These Things Take Time' (ended up being the b-side of What Difference Does It Make) and it's great to hear it in the context of what is a good line-up of tracks:
01 - Reel Around The Fountain / 02 - You've Got Everything Now / 03 - Miserable Lie
04 - These Things Take Time / 05 - Wonderful Woman / 06 - Handsome Devil
07 - Suffer Little Children / 08 - Pretty Girls Make Graves / 09 - Hand In Glove
10 - What Difference Does It Make? / 11 - I Don't Owe You Anything ///
'Jeane' / 'Accept Yourself' and also 'The Hand That Rocks The Cradle' were recorded during these sessions too.

Rougher, for sure, edgier, of course but completely compelling after not hearing their early stuff for a good few years now...

11 Comments:

  • At 9:29 AM, Blogger purplesimon said…

    So, are we likely to hear any Smiths mash-ups?

     
  • At 12:41 PM, Anonymous Craig said…

    Completely agree ... in summer '83 I played my tape of the R1 sessions (eventually compiled on Hatful) to death, and was hugely disappointed with the Porter-produced "official" lp ... especially the abortion that was made of Reel Around the Fountain. No guts, no blood, no spine at all.

    Jean was always a great track, and no coincidence that it was the only Smiths cover Billy Bragg used to play.

     
  • At 3:47 AM, Anonymous essexboy said…

    heh...never knew you were so keen on The Smiths :)

    funnily enough, was only listening to the assembly rooms gig a few days ago... one of my biggest regrets is that I never got to see them play live.. nearest I got was a ticket for a Southend gig that ended up being cancelled.

    The Troy sessions are infinitely superior... I seem to recall being asked a few months back what my favourite Smiths track was whilst I was "minding" for Tone at the Spread Eagle... :P
    there are so many great songs but Jeane still does it for me

     
  • At 2:49 PM, Blogger purplesimon said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 2:50 PM, Blogger purplesimon said…

    Has anyone else noticed that the chap on the right of the cover looks like a young Vic Reeves?

    Just a thought...

     
  • At 7:16 PM, Blogger FD said…

    I was so in love with Morrisey as a teenager, it was ridiculous... back when I owned a record player. I still have the vinyl of The Queen is Dead if you can believe that!

     
  • At 7:08 AM, Blogger Mark Vidler said…

    Smiths mash-ups?
    Maybe...
    Raided our dusty attic last week to find VHS of their 'tube' appearance, Morrisey & Johnny on some kids early morning tv show, with a class of 7 year olds backing them up on 'This Charming Man' and a few other taped from tv delights...

    My sister and I were asked to meet them at TOTP back in '84 when they were doing 'William'....i bottled it.....but the guys signed my copy of the first album...

     
  • At 7:15 PM, Anonymous michael k newton said…

    the harmonica post morrisseys 'la la la' vocal on jeane has always been so haunting. listening to that walking home in a dark city with sirens passing you by and reflecting off the big empty buildings around you is so surreal and film like. thanks for exposing this to all those who feel the smiths begin and end at 'tqid'

     
  • At 7:22 PM, Blogger michael k newton said…

    ooops, last comment was from me.

     
  • At 7:18 AM, Anonymous joedoef said…

    I also loved The Handsome Devils very much. The record I had was produced by Todd Rundgren.Anybody know where I can download it?

     
  • At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just discovered the website who discuss about
    Several
    home business opportunity

    If you want to know more here it is
    home based business reviews
    www.home-businessreviews.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home